Tuesday, February 21, 2012

ten years later...

Salt Lake City. 2002. 


Those words will forever bring a smile to my face and sweet reminisces to my memory. I was an awkward fourteen year old and I became obsessed with everything Olympic. My family froze with grins wider than ever as we sat on 13th East to watch the torch make its way to Rice Eccles. I sat and watched every night and smiled every time an image of the temple broadcasted across the world. I feel a personal connection to Apollo Anton Ohno, Jimmy Shaye, Sarah Hughes, and my personal favorites, Jamie Sale and David Pelletier.

My family watched a few days ago as past Olympians attempted to light the torch again. If you weren't able to watch, don't be too alarmed. The torch didn't light up on camera. There was an awkward moment when the tv crew didn't know what to do: Wait for it, wait for it....maybe we'll go to commercial...and then wait some more. At one point, it was lit. I don't know how or when or who finally fixed it, but that old piece of metal was ready to shine again.

Confession: I may be the Canadian skaters', Sale and Pelletier, BIGGEST fan. Or I was. Or I will proclaim myself the biggest fan and if anyone wants to fight me for it, look out! I watched everything! I printed out a copy of the double death spiral that they did with the Russians and had it hanging in my locker. I seriously considered buying something from Roots that year to support. I may or may not own a small Canadian flag somewhere in my room from those glorious weeks of life. And to prove myself just that nerdy, I own the VHS of the Figure Skating Competition and the Figure Skating Exhibition. I cannot remember if I bought this gem or my mother did, but I have been reliving the best moments for the past few days.

Moments like this one:


In the middle of last week, I received an email from Sonia saying that we had received 200 free tickets to the anniversary event at ESA on the 18th and would I like some? Seriously?!?! Sadly, I knew I had to work that night and would have to miss it but my mom was super excited about it. A few days earlier, she had looked up prices for tickets and was disappointed when they were far too much money and it seemed we wouldn't be able to take part. I decided I would look past my disappointment and treat my parents and sisters to a great night. Maggie and Carrie were able to go with my parents while Melanie had to also be responsible and hold down the fort at the Bead Fairy.

They came home with shining smiles. I missed Sale and Pelletier again. My dream could not come true. At least, not that dream. Oh well, life moves on and the fact that my family had a wonderful time makes everything worth it.

That and watching my videos. If Salt Lake is really wanting the Olympics in the future, I am fully behind that idea. This time, I could do more than just watch them on tv. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment