Tuesday, January 3, 2012

time machine

I know that it is no longer the wonderful Christmas season. Oh, how I know it. But I never fully finished describing my blissful holiday to my five readers. So, jump in my imaginary time machine and we will take care of that in short order.

Oh, December! Hello, again!

On December 6, I experienced one of the greatest moments of my life. As I mentioned in previous posts, a few months ago I received an email from higher up the Deseret Management Corporation totem pole recruiting employees to sing. Since I work for Temple Square Hospitality and they are under the large umbrella of DMC, I decided to add my voice to this choir that would be part of the program for the DMC Christmas dinner. Friends participated in the choir last year and told me how completely wonderful it was. They weren't kidding. I am still experiencing mind-boggling repercussions of this magnificent event.

The dinner was served by JSMB banquets in the Sharon/Manchester room. Therefore, I was very much at home. Still, being involved as a "guest" and not having the stress of serving the function always makes me feel strangely like a "fish out of water." I left the office with Christmas dress in tow, and eventually took my place on the risers for a final rehearsal. There I stood, quite enjoying myself, while I watched Laurel, Amy, Dianne, and some fellow servers prepare the room, straighten silverware a thousand times, correct the lighting, set out name cards, take pictures, and almost have a conniption considering that the prophet would be in attendance.

While Laurel walked around the tables with her fancy camera, she ran into Brent Shingleton, my boss's boss's boss, and began talking. I noticed the two in the room but she caught my eye in the middle of their conversation and I know that she was talking about me. She pointed me out, waved and said something along the lines of "She belongs to me..." I could only think, "Smile and wave, Jen. Just smile and wave."
We finished dress rehearsal with enough time to choose our seats and for me to rush and change my clothes. My friend, Dallin, and I went to the far edge of the room where choir assigned tables hid and found seats that would give us a perfect view of President Uchtdorf when he stood up to speak and then I rushed down to my car to grab my dress and change. We met up again in the lobby to critic a highschool choir, smile at the elaborate gestures of their conductor, and ride the elevator with high profile guests as we were all going to the same place. I kept thinking, "So this is how the other half lives... I like it!"

We entered the Sharon/Manchester room and Dallin started hobnobbing with important people. I would have joined in but without an introduction, I suffered as to what to say. My friend, Char, was captaining this giant event and I ran to talk to her. Crazily, she told me that she had all the new servers! I was shocked and completely grateful that I didn't have to work but could simply enjoy. I told her that I would pray for her. She smiled and told me to have a good time. Check!

I moved on to sit at my table and found out that I would be sitting to the same woman I sang next to. I introduced myself, officially, and we began to exchange small talk as very prominent people began to arrive. Elder and Sister Bednar were seated at a table a few feet away from me. Seven other members of the Quorum of the Twelve arrived and were stationed at various tables in the middle of the room. I turned to my new friend, Margaret Owens, and mentioned that I have learned to keep the excitement of meeting these heroes of mine on the inside. I serve them every now and again, and the only way that is possible is if I keep some manner of professionalism and decorum. I slipped and told her I learned it while serving Sister Sheri Dew, when I actually meant to say Sister Elaine Dalton...She smiled and said that she works with Sheri, and would I mind if she related the story. I didn't correct her, just nodded and smiled, realizing that Ms. Owens worked at Deseret Book!

Further into our conversation, the man next to her said something to the fact that she works in the Human Resources Department at Deseret Book!!! I almost jumped out of my skin! Luckily, I have mastered, as I said, the art of keeping that excitement on the inside, and I didn't accost her right then and there, demanding that I would LOVE to work for Deseret Book and could she please find me a position....!!! No, I decided that perhaps it would be better to wait and email later, saying how nice it was to meet her and would she help me out, etc. I was almost positive I could figure out her email address. Still, that didn't keep me from mentioning certain things as we continued to talk. For example, I turned to Dallin, who had entered the conversation at some point, and made a small quip about being an English major. The man sitting to Ms. Owens left asked where I worked in the past and I told him about working at the Joe, working for my dad, and how I previously worked for George as a personal assistant while I was in college. The conversation went that direction with little help from me and I didn't miss the opportunity.

The food was delicious, even more so when it is fresh from the hot box than when the servers eat, an hour later.We dined on Christmas salad (an apple/cranberry/pomegranate seed mess on a leaf of lettuce), a new salmon dish I didn't know existed and the Joe version of filet mignon on a plate with a twice baked potato (another dish that I have never had before while working there for 18 months), and what is called "Orange Bomb" cake which tastes like orange sticks, but better. I think after all the fancy food we had at the 100 Year Celebration, the prophet decided to okay the menu. As a choir, we feasted as quickly as we could while still trying to maintain our voices. It didn't work very well as when we went to warm up and run through a few things, everyone sounded like toads. The adrenaline was pumping pretty hard by that point.

Finally, we lined up outside in the hall and waited for the okay. I was standing on the back row so I was among the first in place. I walked, focusing on NOT tripping up the risers, then stood facing forward and there sat President Thomas S. Monson, no more than fifteen feet away from me! Could have knocked me over with a feather! My breath caught for a few moments, and then Cary Ripplinger was standing there, ready for us to begin. Time to focus! We started by singing a well-known arrangement of "Jingle Bells" that the Tab Choir has sung before. In the first few notes, President Monson distracted me as he held both his arms up and pretended to lead us with a giant smile on his face. It was awesome! The second song was "A Shepherd's Carol," arranged by Dan Forrest. (He is a new favorite of mine.) At the conclusion, President Monson, himself, stood up and gave us a standing ovation! What better compliment could there be?!

Then, Cary listed off the different companies within DMC and had each of us raise our hands to claim our spots. I almost think there were a few moments when the prophet looked right at me. Even away from the pulpit, without verbally bearing testimony, I saw the mantle on his shoulders. President Monson is the prophet today. He speaks truth and leads us back to our Heavenly Father. Standing there, I realized that this was my personal opportunity to bear my own testimony of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I don't know if I, personally, made a difference that night to President Monson, but he made all the difference to me. Standing there, singing to my heroes (President Uchtdorf, President Eyring, Elder Holland, and Elder Scott were all sitting within my view) I knew I would never be the same.

The final two songs were a French version of Silent Night (It's been long enough that I can't remember the title) and "The First Noel," also arranged by Dan Forrest. Listen. I dare you. (Thanks to the University Singers of 2009- strangely, I know a few faces in the video...) It was AMAZING!!! When the dinner started, CEO Mark Willis made some crack about the DMC choir keeping Mack Wilberg on his toes because we were just that good. We finished our four numbers and President Uchtdorf, loud enough so that I could hear, said, "Mark, you weren't kidding." I always knew I loved that man. We walked back through and out the hallway while guests on either side of us complimented our talents. I think we could give the University Singers a run for their money, and none of us auditioned.

The night concluded with a few speakers, but the only one I really cared about was President Uchtdorf. It was wonderful and the entire three rooms we used could feel both the peace of the Spirit and the magnitude of his words. I wish I would have thought to bring my notebook to make notes. The dinner ended with a prayer and, after a few moments, I was surrounded again by important people. I attempted to meet Elder Holland and shake his hand, but I was a bit too nervous. Dallin and I walked out at the same time as he and his wife, so that will have to be enough. At the elevators, all guests received a GIANT gift bag, myself included! At no charge to me, I received the 5 Best Sellers from Deseret Book, the KSL 2012 calendar, a glass beehive container thing, and 6 or 7 Utah Truffle bars. It was hefty!!!!

The night was one I will never forget. I was so lucky to sing, to hang with my friend, Dallin, and to be among many of the noble and great ones. I still can't believe it happened to me.

P.S. I am still in contact with Margaret Owens. I emailed her a day or two after this event and she mentioned a job position. It isn't official and I don't want to jinx it, but she emailed me back and said that she felt impressed to mention the job to me. Talk about Divine intervention! I'll keep you posted if it actually turns into anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment