Monday, November 7, 2011

i know what you're doing next summer!

*This picture was taken during move-out of 2009. It was raining/snowing in the middle of August! Sorry the flash is in the way but the window says, " I <3 Brighton" (and oh how I do)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have an announcement to make. Harmony, aka Jenny Hortin, is headed back up to Brighton LDS Girls' Camp next summer and working as none other than DIRECTOR! 

Yes, you read correctly. Director 2012! Me! Working as Director! I am so excited!

Story time: The last week of camp is Christmas week and Tuesday night the staff has a big Christmas Party where they eat lots of yummy food and exchange presents. To make this possible, past staff members are invited to come and patrol the cabins as the girls go to sleep. Last summer, Gloria called me and asked me to come help. I jumped at the chance!

I went up with my friends Pixel and Jibber. We had a wonderful time hiking and talking and patrolling, but I was struggling with a feeling that I couldn't name and really can't explain. I tried talking it out with Pixel but we kept running into friends and never really finished the conversation. 

At some point during the night, I met up with my wonderful friend, Granola, as she was helping a staff member that had injured her foot. We started to talking and, one way or another, she told me they were changing the process of hiring a director and firmly stated, a number of times, that she thought I should apply. This all happened months ago but it really got me thinking.

Camp ended and I went about living life and trying to figure things out. In the middle of September, my sister Carrie forgot something at home that she was supposed to take to school. I attempted to text her and ask if she needed it but I hit the wrong contact on my phone without realizing it. A few minutes later, Carebear (a member of the Brighton Presidency and a good friend of mine) texted me back saying that I had mistakenly texted her but that she was happy to hear from me. I apologized and felt terribly sheepish when she returned my text with the question: Is my Brighton door shut? 

That really got the ball rolling. I mentioned that I had been thinking about applying. Throughout the course of the next month or so, I received emails and text messages from Carebear as reminders that the deadline was coming up. I had an issue with getting a letter from my Bishop because as I was going in to talk to him and get my application in the mail, I learned he had left for Hawaii for two weeks! (Lucky man...) I called Carebear on the phone to ask how I should go about handing in an application, if it was okay to turn it in without my Bishop letter, and if he could mail it in later. Talking to her on the phone, I could sense her excitement and that made my excitement increase, although I don't know how that was possible. Application turned in, I received a phone call from Duke, another counselor in the presidency, to set up an interview for October 29th. I made a note on the calendar for JSMB and kept my fingers crossed. 

I don't think my interview could have gone better. I tried not to count my chickens, so to speak, but I knew that I had done everything possible. I had done everything that I knew how to do. Standing up to leave, I realized that I didn't want to. Still, I didn't want to overstay my welcome, but looking back, I felt something. And maybe, even a part of me knew what was going to happen.

The next Monday, Zim, the president, called me and asked if I would be able to come in that Saturday for a second interview. A second interview? Okay...... She said that it would be for a few hours so keep my morning open and I could come in jeans. She had me thinking, "What are they going to make me do???"

Last Saturday, I woke up early, got ready, and headed out. It was funny to me because I didn't feel nervous. At all. I drove slowly through the snow and got there a few minutes late, but eventually found where I needed to be. Walking to the room, I noticed Ao sitting outside the room. I figured that I was first and she was waiting for me to be done. Carebear came out and asked both of us to come in. I said hi to the presidency and they all came over to hug me. Carebear pointed to one of the two hot seats and said,"Harmony, you sit here." Okay.

Zim started the interview by asking Meadow to pray. Meadow prayed like this was a normal interview. Then, Zim said that they wanted to know how we would problem solve with another person. In front of each of us were baskets with small envelopes--- (Still have them for my scrapbook)


We were to grab one, read the question, and figure it out together. In my head, I'm thinking, "This is interesting. I don't think they've ever done this before." Then I started to read:


All I remember thinking then was "Where's the question?" I couldn't even believe it! It was such an out of body experience. I came back to myself when I heard Ao make a squeaking noise. We were totally played! Meadow jumped up and started taking pictures. Zim was so excited! She looked like a three year old on Christmas morning. Carebear was smiling so wide! Oh the shock! It still doesn't quite seem real.

I'm official. I have my binder and everything. The Presidency took us out to breakfast at Mimi's (swanky, holy smokes, delicious!) and we started talking about changes that are going to be made and things that we are going to be doing. There is so much! But I am ready. 

I realize the trust that Heavenly Father has placed in me. I know that He expects great things, and together, we can do them. I am so excited to be working with Ao! We met a few times during the summers that she worked but I have so much to learn from this wonderful girl!!! I wish it were January/ February already so that we could get started and run with this whole thing. My puzzle came together a little bit more on Saturday and I couldn't be more grateful!

Program Director Harmony...
Just you wait, friends. 
Director Harmony is here!
(Oh gosh, that sounds crazy)

No comments:

Post a Comment