Wednesday, July 13, 2011

thinkin' bout...

The past couple of days have gotten me thinking. Sometimes, I don't know if that is a good thing.  I just got back from Nauvoo last night. Let me tell you, that was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. I received new perspectives on a lot of things and thought about ancestors that lived years ago and what I am doing with their legacy. Don't know if I have a complete handle on the whole situation yet, but standing on the hill in front of the Nauvoo temple, I got the familiar feeling that something is coming. I don't know what it is. I don't know what I will learn from it but I know that God has big plans for me. I know that I am being prepared for something bigger than myself. What, exactly, only He knows.

I started thinking about preparation because I realized that I was spiritually prepared for my trip to Nauvoo. Prepared enough to become more spiritually aware. I had to work the night before I left on a plane, the only night that I had to work last week. I was feeling fine. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. And then I got to work and started helping out and chaos followed.

I was working with Elaina that night and asked her if she had heard anything about the previous Saturday. It was a cursed reception in the Sharon/Manchester of which I was made captain. It was a weird one and we did what we could, but the contact had a list of complaints at the end of the night. So I asked Elaina if any of our superiors made any mention of it to her. She said not, but that the experience gave her a migraine the next day. I get migraines every know and then and they like to ruin my day. I know that is common for everyone, but for some reason I seem to get them more often than most.

Work continued after this particular conversation. I wasn't captain which was lovely, but there were only three of us, Elaina, Morgan Guison, and myself, which required a larger amount of work from me. The dinner began and we started moving really quickly and suddenly, my eyes started going funny. Through experience, that is my first sign of a migraine. I see a type of flashing lights that go in a semi-circle and grow in size until I can barely see anything but the lights. The pain doesn't really start until later. I kept working because we had gotten to a point where I don't really have to think hard. Just deliver food, re-juice and water, and clear plates. Then the pain started. Bad News. Seriously bad news.

I went until the last minute and then mentioned it to Elaina by asking her if she had advil in her purse. She said no but that there was some in the office. My brain had slowed through the pain so I'm so glad that she took over taking care of me. I was able to sit between courses which is a definite no-no. She called down to the Empire room that is on the same floor as the office to see if they could run some meds up to me. Lizzy came a few minutes later and I loaded up to be able to finish the shift. It worked for about ten minutes, just long enough to get another round done through the room, and then the pain hit harder.

By that time, everyone out in the room was eating desserts, which is the time that servers go back into the kitchen and count up meals, start to box extra food, and have a few minutes to share in the food ourselves. (FYI- the kitchen makes extra meals for the servers, so whatever you eat, we do too. It's a great perk.) I sat down while Morgan and Elaina served me- they grabbed food, drink, utensils, everything for me but a chair because I was already sitting. We talked about something. I really can't remember what the conversation was about. I tried to contribute but the pain was taking complete control. When the girls started getting up to start working again, I had a fleeting thought and a definite impression. All I remember is thinking: Tom and Andrew are downstairs. Priesthood. Blessing. Help.

I asked Elaina if the group downstairs were still around. All I had to say was "Priesthood blessing" and both my friends jumped into gear. Morgan took over both her job and mine while Elaina got on the phone. Once again, I don't remember anything about the next few minutes until I saw Andrew holding up his travel size container of oil, calling out,"Look what I have!" It was one of those moments where I felt pain and overwhelming happiness and gratitude and the desire to weep all at the same time. God loves me.

The guys led me down the hallway to the empty suites. It is down a private hall only open to employees and special guests. Tom had sincere concern etched on his face. We walked into the room and I found the closest chair I could find. Andrew came up behind me and asked for my full name. I answered with a small thought of "please." He performed the anointing and Tom came forward to give me a blessing. It was simple. It was perfect. He blessed me with additional faith and the strength to be able to continue what was needed of me. He didn't promise the world, but it was more than enough for me. The moment Tom said "Amen" I felt such relief that I don't even know how to describe. The heavy burden lifted. I could think. I could concentrate. I almost felt back to normal. All in an instant. Miracles happen in my life - EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I stood up and felt myself again. With such concern on their faces, they asked the million dollar question- Is there anything we can do for you? I asked for a hug. They had already done so much. I then heard about the girl down in the Youth Conference that asked for Tom's number. It made me laugh and I think they noticed the difference in me too. Walking back into the kitchen to go back to work, Morgan mentioned that I looked much better. She could see the pain in my eyes before and was happy that it was gone. After getting back to work, I was able to keep going like nothing had happened at all. Complete turn around.

This experience and the next morning I'm on a plane to Nauvoo. The Spirit is amazing. I know the Gospel is true. I know that it was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith to be used fully at moments like these. I know that the priesthood is the power of God on earth and that I feel closest to heaven when I am witness to the priesthood in practice. I am so thankful for friends that are able to be called at a moment's notice to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. God loves me and I love Him.

*Nauvoo stories will take a good amount of time. Don't worry- they will start tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment