Thursday, July 28, 2011

doesn't seem real...

The Hortins are well known at Primary Children's Hospital. We added another hospital stay to our continuous count yesterday as Carrie needed to have her pacemaker replaced. She first received the pacemaker at the end of some complications when she was eight and its battery lasted a few years. This trip was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any easier. Walking through the rotating doors throws my nerves in all sorts of directions. Not that all my memories of that hospital are bad. There are quite a few that make me smile. But the overall reaction inside me can only be compared to elephant-sized butterflies. (Maybe that is a little bit of an exaggeration, but I think you get my point.)

I was trying hard not to think about it during the days preceding the surgery. Therein lies the reason that many of my friends didn't know about it. On Tuesday night, Brother and Elder Kent came over to give Carrie a blessing; something that we do every time. Carrie was as calm as I have ever seen her and it surprised me. I wished that I could have that same relief.

All I can say is that Heavenly Father knows me. He knows Carrie. He knows the Hortins and our fear of complications. He listened when I pleaded. He granted my wish of a simple surgery. I thought it would be hours. All that the surgeon needed to do took a simple fifteen minutes. Of course there was prep and all that other stuff that doctors do that I don't need to know, but fifteen minutes? And everything is fine?

I Love the Lord. In Him, my soul delights.


Carrie is coming home today! We are breaking our own records of short hospital stays! As we were leaving last night, Melanie says to me, "We haven't been here long enough for the nurses to know us." I am grateful for our friends there. I'm grateful for Tagouhi and her sweet visit last night. But I'm okay with not adding any more nurses to our little club.

P.S.The Ghost Lady is still haunting the cafeteria. And her hair is bigger. I didn't think that was possible.
P.P.S. Please don't judge me by calling her The Ghost Lady. If I had pictures, I think you would understand.
P.P.P.S. Her name is Helen.

No comments:

Post a Comment