Tuesday, July 19, 2011

nauvoo: day 2

*Long post! Stay with me folks :)

Saturday started bright and early. The view from the front porch of our house was incredible. I wished I could take a piece of the river home with me.


We started our journey in Nauvoo by stopping by the Visitors' Center. I met some lovely sister missionaries that are serving in that area. From that point on, we were constantly bombarded by people asking for references so that we could share the Gospel. I wish I knew some names that I could share. Every time they ask, I feel shanghaied and I never know what to say because I can't think of anyone that would really be into it. It isn't that I am against sharing. I just spend a lot of my time around people that are dedicated members. I'll keep thinking... But, while talking to the sisters, they suggested that we stay and watch the Joseph Smith movie. Matt and Jon had never seen it, and really, what better place to watch it then in the setting of part of the story. Turns out that the movie has been tweaked a bit since I last saw it. The story is told now by Lucy Mack Smith instead of the immigrant arriving in Nauvoo and it takes on more of the concept of eternal families. Some of the stories have been taken out and replaced with others. Still, it is a wonderful movie. You should see it! Here is a link, though I would also suggest you go to Temple Square and have the whole experience.

From the movie, we just started walking down the street, headed into the busier part of Old Nauvoo. While walking, I could see the temple in full daylight. I had a moment where I couldn't believe that I was actually there, walking through such a beautiful and historic place. So, I said something like, "Am I dreaming? Somebody pinch me." And the guys did. Hard. No, I wasn't dreaming.

While we walked, a group of YPMs (Young Performing Missionaries) met up with us and began to sing! You should know that I am a sucker for men that can sing, especially those that can sing well but simply use their talents to praise the Lord. Major sucker! Meeting these young men, we instantly became friends. Every time later in the week that they saw us, they made a big deal to come and ask us how our trip was going, had we seen such-and-such place yet, etc. It was awesome! 

I can't remember all their names, but the green shirt is Elder Fairbourne
and the one on the far right is Elder Black. All have great voices :)

Our first stop was the Bakery where we got a small gingerbread cookie. Then we continued further and found a place full of pioneer play things. There were pioneer clothes for dressing up, a game that looked like a miniature version of bowling, stilts, a rope game that imitated milking a cow, and all sorts of other things. We were surrounded by children, but we were having a wonderful time!


While we were playing, suddenly we were surrounded by the Nauvoo Marching Band! They circled around the pavilion and asked us to join in with them as they marched. It was so cool! I am a music nerd and completely okay with that fact. How awesome is it that the marching band got all dressed up to wander through Old Nauvoo and just play?! I loved it! And they were really good, too!


Another moment where I couldn't believe where I was and how good life can get was repeated over and over again. We would be walking somewhere in Nauvoo between all the historic sites and all the sudden, you could hear bagpipes playing the tune to "Praise to the Man." Every single time, it gave me chills.

We wandered through some of the sites for awhile until it was time for our Wagon ride. We walked back to the Visitors' Center through a large field and really started to feel the humidity. I like to have my hair down when I know that my picture will be taken, and then the humidity hit. Thanks for the fro Illinois! Thanks but no thanks. We walked back through the Women's Garden and saw the statues located there. Beautiful! The Wagon ride was awesome! We went through a bunch of streets that we hadn't seen yet. We traveled down Parley Street, the street where the pioneers walked to cross the Mississippi as they left Nauvoo. We went through the Smith historic property and saw the Red Brick Store, the Homestead, and the Mansion House. Then finished with a beautiful view of the temple. I think I can pinpoint my falling in love with this place to driving in and seeing the temple for the first time and the overview of the city on this wagon. 
Love. Love, Love, Love!




After the wagon ride, we walked over to tour the Smith property that is currently owned by the Community of Christ. The tour begins at their visitors' center. This was the moment I was introduced to the Red Brick Store rootbeer and Sassafras. Laura wanted to buy Sassafras- this hard candy that tastes a little like a mix of rootbeer and licorice. She said that she became addicted during her mission to Minnesota and wanted us all to try it. Justin went a little crazy and bought every single flavor of the candy- Lemon, Watermelon, Rootbeer, Sassafras, and Cinnamon. My favorites were the lemon and watermelon and Justin was a dear and shared. We had enough for the rest of the trip :) Laura, Matt, and Justin all bought a bottle of Rootbeer, but Laura let the rest of us all have a sip. Good thing none of us were germ-o-phobes. AND- it was completely worth it! It was like drinking A&W from the tap in a bottle.

Our tour guide was named Chris and he did an amazing job on our tour. My favorite part was walking through the Mansion house and seeing one of Joseph Smith's secret hiding places. In Joseph and Emma's bedroom, in the closet on the right, there is a fake wall that opens up to a ladder going up to the attic. Without knowing what it was, you would have no idea. Chris said he wanted to show us but not everyone gets to see it so we had to move quickly. Standing in the Mansion house made Joseph and Emma feel even more real. The coolest part was that we started the tour thinking that Chris was a member of the Community of Christ. He said that he was in college to study the history of Nauvoo. As we continued through the tour, there were moments where the things that he said correlated more with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and then we were a little confused. We ended in the top of the Red Brick Store where the Relief Society was organized, and some of the first sealings took place (another time when I pinched myself). Chris ended the tour but said that if we had any questions to stay later. Then it was just Chris and our group and we asked him in the nicest way possible and it turned out he was a member. Then we were able to enrich our whole experience because we were able to talk only in the context of the church. Oh man, oh man. I loved it! The Church is true! Joseph Smith is an amazing man and I really can't wait until I can meet him and challenge him to a stick pull. I know I'll lose, but it will be more than worth it!


After our tour, we made a quick stop at the Red Brick Store where I purchased a copy of Times and Seasons and Joseph Smith's view on politics that was published when he declared his candidacy for President. I was fighting with myself whether I should buy a harmonica because I have always wanted one. Just when I thought I shouldn't, Matt told me he was buying one, so Maggie said I should buy one too. I'm big on following the crowd so I bit the bullet and am now the owner of a brand new harmonica. I can even play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and When the Saints Go Marching In. While Matt and I made our purchases, the others locked the door. I have trouble with doors (ask my friend, Dallin. I've broken his front door multiple times in our friendship.). Matt and I bonded over harmonicas and falling out the entrance. Great times.

Then a quick run back to our castle for dinner of baked potatoes and salad, and we were off again to the fair before the big Nauvoo pageant! The fair was great! We played at stick pull where it was no surprise that Jon won. We pulled handcarts and had a competition at sawing a log (I wasn't very good). I learned how to do a craft of ribbon tying that when done right, turns into a rug or a hotpad. The girls were jealous of my skill! One thing that I am good at! I can tie ribbon into a circle. I'll put that on my resume. Towards the end of the fair, who would show up on a little golf cart but Elder Marvin K. Jensen of the Seventy! I love that man and I love when he speaks in General Conference. I told Justin the story of a few weeks ago when I served him on a PA function and he was my contact. He really was so sweet. I asked Justin if he thought Elder Jensen would remember me, but he just laughed. What a small world that we would be visiting Nauvoo the same weekend.

We ran into a few of our YPM friends and asked if Abby Paulsen, my friend Fermata, was out and about. Tamra/Jibber and I started looking everywhere for her. I hope people didn't get freaked out by us. I don't think that we were that obvious, but we really were walking up to sisters with brown hair and walking away when we saw that they weren't her. It was getting closer and closer to the start of the pageant, so we started walking in the direction of the stage and our seats. At the same time, Tamra and I saw the back of a sister with brown hair. Tamra was a little ways ahead of me. Suddenly Sister Paulsen turned and Tamra attacked her in a huge bearhug. I followed quickly after and I don't think she fully understood what was happening until I let her go. She knew Tamra was coming but I was a surprise. Cute girl started crying and saying that she couldn't believe that we were there. It was so fun to see her! In the middle of talking to her, I saw Tyler Elwood, a friend of mine from Institute Singers. I had forgotten that he was serving there too. Fermata caught his attention and his eyes grew wide when he saw me. I thought it was funny that he shook my hand but he is a missionary... So the two of us got to talking while Fermata and Tamra were talking just a little bit away and the pageant starts. They have everyone say the Pledge of Allegiance but we didn't realize it until towards the end. Tyler left and I said see ya later to Fermata and then turned to realize I was just talking through the opening prayer. To further humiliate myself, I said, "OH!" pretty loudly and then folded my arms and bowed my head, while Tamra fought not to laugh out loud during the rest of it. Oh gosh. Good thing that Heavenly Father has a sense of humor!

Then the pageant! It was wonderful! I heard great things about the music but the majority of it was orchestral. That surprised me. The cast sang some excerpts of hymns but the music was more mellow than I expected. There were a few big dance numbers that I saw both Fermata and Tyler in. Tyler told me that he isn't a great dancer but since he is serving the Lord, it all figures itself out. In the middle of one of the dances, I saw him make a misstep and I had to laugh. It is so great how when you are serving and working as an instrument in the hands of the Lord, stuff like that isn't so important. I was proud of my friends and the other YPM friends that I had made. They did a wonderful job. You could definitely feel the Spirit. The brother who played the role of Joseph Smith was great. The moment where Joseph and Hyrum are martyred is very poignant and well done. The two characters stand in silence for a moment longer than expected and then walk off stage through the audience. It took Tamra pointing it out that they were standing in the similar position as the statue in front of Carthage. 

The pageant ended and we called it a day. It was quite the busy day at that! No time to rest for us, but then you can rest when you're dead. It was a great first day in Nauvoo. I loved talking with all the people on the street. I love people! I love Nauvoo! The Church is true!

No comments:

Post a Comment