Wednesday, October 12, 2011

in a nutshell

This week has been much better than the last two. What a relief! Still, I haven't gotten to the weekend yet, and those tend to be the hardest. Ironic, isn't it?


Sunday: I finally taught my temple lesson in Relief Society. I haven't taught for years and I had never taught in Relief Society before. Still, I think it went pretty well. I love the feeling when you know you are teaching by the Spirit. I love bearing testimony, even if it isn't as eloquent in execution as it is in my head. The funny part is that I get to teach Fast Sunday next month too. After the block was over, some of the sisters in my ward came up and complimented me on my lesson. It is never the purpose of teaching to be praised, I know. The Spirit did all the heavy lifting. My new friend, Michelle, came up and said that I was "tender-hearted" and my fellow sisters in the presidency said they would rather I teach every Fast Sunday. Well, shucks.....

The biggest thing I took away from that lesson was the feeling of teaching with the Spirit and the reminder that I have learned much from my father and our family conversations over the dinner table about teaching.

Monday: I was lazy for the first part of the day because Monday is currently my only day off. Sheesh, there are a lot of things going on downtown at the Joe. The day ended with a disappointing trip to Kmart. Disappointing because we couldn't find what we were looking for. Never because of the company of my mother and younger sisters.

Then, I went with my ward to the Crazy Cornmaze out in West Jordan for FHE with my ward. I don't go to FHE very often, or never actually, but it just worked out that I tagged along with Whitney. It was a blast! I was afraid that it was going to be haunted. I hate being scared. Absolutely hate it! Well, I made the mistake of mentioning that when some of the guys were near. They took it upon themselves, since the cornmaze isn't haunted on Mondays, to be my personal poltergeists. Still, we had a great time!


This cutout was at the exit. Shaye and I couldn't pass up this awesome kodak moment.

 L to R: Shaye, Whitney, Miranda, Marissa and Jennifer is hidden in the back


Tuesday: I worked a VERY VIP function! Holy Smokes! Enjoy as I name drop: Elder Quentin L. Cook, Elder Rasband, Elder Clayton, Elder Whitney, Bishop Burton, and Governor Mike Leavitt. They were there as a round table discussion. I only get bits and pieces of the conversations but they said something about George Washington and making a larger community committee combining the Catholic and LDS Church organizations. More than that, I have no idea what they were doing. I was just trying not to spill.

(It only took 8 months, but I am finally official! Doesn't that tag look swell?)


Later that night was Presidency meeting and Miranda thought it would be a good idea to go out and visit at least one sister every week. This week we headed out to see a girl named Alisha. She hasn't come more than once or twice because she works on Sundays, but she really is darling. She invited us in, warning us that she has pets so if we are allergic, it might be better to stand outside. Of course we all walked in and proceeded to pet one of her cats and her two dogs. It was great fun to talk to her, but as soon as we were back in the car, my allergy to cat hair came back. I don't go places with cats for so long and then I forget that I have a problem until I become a snot-producing machine. I sneezed and sniffed all the way back to the church. Guess what?! I'm allergic to cats.

The night ended with frozen yogurt with my long-time friend, Missy, because she is going to Boston tomorrow to live for a year! She is so brave! I don't know if I could do that but I am super excited for her! I can't wait to hear all her stories. We went out to the place in the gravel pit, Planet....something. I can never remember what it is called. They had gingerbread yogurt for the season! Oh. My. Holy. Fudge. You need to try this stuff. I was worried that it would be too strong but it was perfect. I had a bowl of gingerbread and pumpkin with a little cake batter or something white, loaded with fruit, cashews, and graham cracker crust. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Go. You'll love it!

Wednesday: Today was another crazy day at work. I served Elder Richard G. Scott! He was so excited when I handed him his ice cream :) Thinking about his reaction still makes me smile. And I was able to work with Elaina, Bryan, Sophie, and Michelle. They are the reason I haven't marched into Laurel's office and quit on the spot. (multiple times)

Tonight was dinner from Wendy's with the rest of the girls at home and then Institute! Brother Anderson talked about finances, which is definitely something I need to work on. He made me rethink my payments for student loans and working out payment for a car. Maybe I need to look into some options.

I heart Forum! The speaker could be mediocre and I would still love it because of "the Sandy Crew." Those are wonderful people and I am so happy that they consider me a friend.

All in all, this week so far has been much better than last. It is as different as night and day. I hope it continues that way as we go into the weekend........................... (fingers crossed)

1 comment:

  1. I had so much fun getting frozen yogurt with you! And I wanted you to know that you are an excellent teacher. I sat there all during Relief Society and was blessed to feel the Spirit so strongly but also you are very eloquent and engaging. You would make a great teacher for anything! I even told my Mom that when I came home that day.

    ReplyDelete