Sunday, June 5, 2011

red flag!

more anecdotes from my life at the "Joe"

- Receptions are my least favorite type of function. Three-ish straight hours of being on your feet with little to do and no chance of a break in sight is not my idea of a great time. I would rather captain a reception than just be a server. In fact, I would really prefer to hostess the event. As hostess, you do everything to make the head party happy. It is similar to being captain except for two things: you only worry about the head party and you get to dress up. It is a definite rarity to be able to feel pretty at work. Definite rarity. (And the extra attention from the guys isn't too bad either....)

Story: Friday night, I was scheduled as a server in a reception. It wasn't the worst I have experienced because I was able to work with good friends. Early in the reception, an elderly gentleman asked me for a piece of paper. Not an out of place occurrence. No red flags. Just piece of paper. I told him I could run and get a doily because that is commonly what we use for lists and things. I came back with a few and he says, "Some of the greatest business in the world is done on napkins and doilies." Uh, okay. Thanks for that, sir. 

I continue to go about my business, clearing plates and cups and napkins, playing tag with the other servers (walking, of course), and helping to refill the chafers of food.   This gentleman was standing by one of my assigned tables. Therefore, the next time I traveled in that direction, he was still there. He handed me the lacy section of the doily, asked me to throw it away the next time I was by a garbage, and showed me that he had written down a phone number. Spoiler alert- here comes the red flag!

Conversation:
He says, "You know, you could add your number to the list."
Me: .........
He continues, "Because this number is for business. Your number would be for pleasure."
Me: um.... 
(in my head) WHAT did he just say??? How did that happen? He could be my grandpa? Is this really going down the way I think it is? RUN AWAY! Abort!!!!!!

I honestly can't remember how I got out of that situation. I think I may have mumbled something and then walked away. I hope I wasn't rude... He doesn't have my number. He left the room not long after that so the awkwardness did not continue. All I remember is thinking that I needed to go back to the kitchen and tell my friends. When I did, they teased me the rest of the night that I had found my "Sugar Daddy." It still makes me shudder. Really, what was he thinking?

-Then the photographer. Creeper. Every time I look up, he is somewhere with the camera pointed at me. If it happens every once in awhile, I wouldn't think much of it. All night on the other hand was a definite red flag. I'm pretty sure the bride and groom don't need to remember me. 

Never would have thought that this job of mine would provide such entertainment... 
Every day at work has a story.
Like the time when Elder Ballard helped me know which guest still needed an entree
When this cute boy went out of his way to come and talk to me :)
The day I dropped trays on my foot.
When I heard Sister Julie Beck sound like my mother about feeding her husband.
Yesterday when the kitchen floor was covered in white grape concentrate and our feet literally stuck to the floor.
The note on the salad fridge that informed the staff that President and Sister Monson prefer their salads to be made of ice berg lettuce.

This next week I'm practically living there Wednesday through Saturday. I am positive I will have more stories. Hopefully none that include crazy old men asking for my number. A guy more my age wanting my number- that would be okay. 

Stay tuned friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment