Monday, June 6, 2011

oh, how i love sundays!

Yesterday was pure bliss! 
awesome weather
awesome lessons
awesome friends
and an awesome testimony meeting to boot!

I am learning more and more of my new duties as Second Counselor in the Relief Society Presidency. I have been reminded that Heavenly Father knows me. He knows my name. He knows my capabilities. He knows just where to push me to make me the person He has in mind. My Sundays are in the process of a complete turn-around for the better.

I am not saying that Sundays weren't pleasurable before. That is untrue. However, ever since rumors started about a YSA reshuffling, I kept feeling that it was just what I needed. Since the wards shifted, or rather, since the Crescent Park 7th was split and I joined the Crescent North, I have become friends with my new bishopric, spoken in church, reinstated Ward Prayer in my schedule, received a calling, and made some new friends. After our first presidency meeting, life is going up from here. My calendar is suddenly very crowded and I love it! I was told that it is not by chance that these changes are happening now. I am a believer.

June 5 started as any other Sunday. I woke up while the rest of my family prepared for church. At eleven, the house was mine. Unusually, I started a Fast Sunday smiling. It was one of those times where I know it is going to be a good day and a good attitude hits it out of the park. I started getting ready for church, blasting my Grateful Praise album by Eclipse (been on an Eclipse kick since I rocked out at their concert on Saturday night. Pictures to come, as soon as I steal them from friends ;) ). It is a great album. Buy it! I was rocking my outfit- which always makes my days better.

I walked into sacrament meeting to see a friend beaming as she showed off her engagement ring. I was in the perfect mood and the sacrament filled my heart with gratitude. Brother Glad started testimony meeting by talking about miracles. His was a beautiful testimony and it struck me how my thoughts as I was preparing for church correlated with his experience. I am still so excited to meet more of my ward. Unfortunately, I missed all of the Break the Fast because of a meeting, but there is still time.We needed to get Relief Society up and running. I am so excited to serve, especially with Miranda, Amber, and Kira. I have much to learn from each of them.

After a delightful family dinner minus Maggie, I headed to Ward Prayer and was surprised to see Briana Greenwall, a good friend from highschool, and Nate Haines walk in. Of course, I sat on the one broken lawn chair of the lot and had to sit afraid that at any moment it would forgo my weight and I would end on the ground. Just my luck. 

First the thought and prayer, then my friends and I preceded to catch up. Out of the blue, we started quoting Disney movies to try and stump the group. Linda had a few that completely stumped me. Still, I was able to figure out, "I...I...I...I made it myself!' Good job, Jenny. Let me know if you can guess which movies contain the following quotes:

1: "Hey look! I made a bridge. It only took me what? 10 seconds. 11 tops."

2: "Pinned ya..."

3: "It's Mister Banana Beak to you, Fuzzy."

4: "I am Mrs. Nesbitt."

5: "Start at the beginning.
     Yes, and when you come to the end, stop."

6: "Rule number 96: AIM!"

7: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

8: "I just love happy endings!"

9: "You have a rash?"

10: "And machine washable darling. That's a new feature."

Gotta say, I thought I was a pro. Maybe not.

Ward Prayer was dying down so Nate asked if we wanted to continue the party someplace else. We ended up at Stephanie's house for a fire and marshmallows. I love fire! I love building fires. I love roasting marshmallows, starbursts, and cinnamon apples. I love the smell of the smoke on my clothes after. I love waking up with the smell in my hair. Weird? Probably. I don't care. I convinced Linda to let me start it. She brought over the lighter fluid and I was slightly offended. With Briana's help, we made a blazing fire. It was amazing! It was a bit of a highschool reunion, but so much better than that time five years ago. (Man! I'm old.)

The real story of the night comes at the very end. It still makes me laugh to think of it. 

It was getting late so we headed back out towards our cars: Ryan with Nate, Missy with me. It was definitely highschool and 4th ward deja vu. Ryan and Missy live across the street from each other. Nate pulls in front of Ryan's as I pull into Missy's driveway. As always, we sat for awhile talking. Talking about boys, talking about old times, talking about how things are changing.... Every now and again we would glance back at the boys and kept seeing the car parked out front. We thought they might be having a pretty in-depth conversation over there too. Well, they were, but not about serious things.

I had turned the car off and we were sitting in the dark. Missy was telling me something about BYU friends or something, I forget, when all the sudden, there is a loud bang on either of our windows and a darkened face looking in. OH. MY. HECK! They scared us so bad. Missy was slightly louder as she screamed like she was going to die and convulsed in her seat. I gasped and threw my hands over my face. Needless to say, if a bad man really was at my window, I'd be a goner. My heart was beating a mile a minute while the guys  stood, watching us and laughing, content that their plan had worked. They preceded to tell us that they had "army-crawled" across the street and up to our windows, then hit the ground three times so that they would hit the windows in unison. It was an elaborate production that succeeded in scaring the CRAP out of us. 

And then we all ended up laughing our heads off. 
Good times. Good times.
Even more good times to be had this summer in the life of Jenny Hortin.
All to be shared on this lovely thing I call my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment