Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"i feel handsome, oh so handsome..."

The much awaited story of my experience while wearing a tux. You readers have been so patient. Finally, I will share my most manly experience. It was not while climbing into the garbage at Brighton. It was not because I had not shaved my legs. No, it was the night I was asked to wear a tuxedo in front of various VIPs of Utah.

I was asked to partake of this blessed occasion weeks before hand. When the idea came up, I thought it was awesome. I'll admit that I told a few people. Those I didn't tell were told by my parents. I was excited to see the pure extravagance of it all and to be a part of such a historic event as the 100th Birthday of Hotel Utah/Joseph Smith Memorial Building. The excitement ended the day before when I actually realized just what serving in a tux would mean. Extra layers while serving at 50 mph, a tight collar and bow-tie, and an entire outfit that is most definitely NOT accustomed to curves. Friends, I have curves.

Friday started early as set up for the big event started at 10 am. Dianne, bless her heart, wanted all set up to be finished at noon. With all the work that needed to be done, it was ambitious to say the least. I broke the rules early on when I parked underneath JSMB when I was actually supposed to park down the street at the Plaza. Knowing that work would go well past dark, I didn't want to risk it while walking alone three blocks. Everyone showed up in jeans as our tuxedos would be distributed right before the event. Working in jeans was weird. Not looking exactly alike was weird. Wearing clothes that actually fit was wonderful.

We started in the Empire Room doing chair covers. Dianne spent more than a few grand on the linens and you could tell. Still, the chair covers for Bonneville and Empire looked like huge pillow cases. Once the "pillow case" was on, the two points were tied in a knot on the back. With everyone but a few set up fellas working on the chair covers, we still didn't know how to make them look right. Field trip to the already staged Bonneville room didn't really help either.
[Side note- there is a reason why the guys work on set up and the girls do chair covers. I tried to help the guys once and they just laughed at me. Watching the guys try and tie chair covers was an experience I will not soon forget, especially since Morgan G., Elaina, and I had to go back into the room and retie half of them.]

After chair covers, we started to set tables. The dinner consisted of five courses which meant that every chair required a charger (big plastic plate), two dinner forks, a knife, a spoon, and a soup spoon. Can you say cramped? The silverware was practically lying on top of each other. We had the room about half way done when Dianne came in and said that each table needed a topper tablecloth. Off went all the silverware and chargers. On went the toppers. And we, as servers, were officially annoyed. I told Char that it would be right without at least one major hiccup in the process.

Along with rented linens, Dianne had ordered plates and bowls from Diamond Rental. There was special silverware for the lobby and mezzanine. She had also purchased a new box filled with salt and pepper shakers to replace our old "dingy" collection. I volunteered to help fill the pepper shakers. At first glance, not a big deal. Five sneezes later, it was a little bit of a big deal. I have never seen nor smelled so much pepper at once in my entire life.

After a good two hours, the building was starting to resemble a dinner fit for kings and queens. Each room was slightly different, due to different tablecloths, flowers, silverware, and place settings.

Empire Room (notice the brilliantly tied chair covers)
Bonneville (pre- flower centerpieces)
The Lobby (I didn't know that many tables would fit...)
My friends Liz and Vanessa setting up the night before
Morgan G. in the Mezzanine

At this point, we were allowed to take a small break for lunch. I was helping to stuff more programs into napkins so it took me a little longer to head up to the Employee lunchroom. [Another side note: They recently repainted the room with a bright purple accent wall. Purple? What?] I traveled the elevator with my friends Morgan and Bryan and witnessed their on going joke of "that's what she said..." Approaching the door, we all admitted to feeling like we were back in high school: awkward, shy, and not knowing where to sit. Jokingly, we found the tables for the popular kids and then realized we were the drama geeks that no one wants to sit by. Slightly ridiculous, but thoroughly entertaining!

From there, we started walking up to the Jade because it was movie time! All staff clocked out for a little over an hour and headed to the Jade. The guys had set up the screen, brought in the couches from the mezz and turned on Tangled. It was a party! A few minutes into the movie, Laurel and Amy showed up with M&Ms and the makings of a really great rootbeer float. Thinking about it, we realized they were trying to get us all stocked up on a sugar high for the rest of set up, but it was worth every wonderful sugary sip. I have a thing for Flynn Rider. I'm pretty sure it comes from my thing for Zachary Levi but I don't care. It isn't the first time I've had a crush on an animated character. My first crush was and still is Dmitri from Anastasia. I learned that Jordan has a thing for Rapunzel, so I'm not the only one who favors the 2D type. Three o'clock came all too soon. We were just past the lantern scene and the lights flipped back on. Back to reality folks. 

The building was finally put together. It was now time to change into our tuxedos. I went down to the locker room where a few of us were attempting to put ourselves together. The other girls who didn't have a tuxedo to wear just sat and laughed at those of us who were trying to put the thing together correctly. We had no idea what we were doing, and it wasn't like we could go and ask the guys for help. I'm sure we were a sight. Still, we figured it out. I have not felt that unattractive in public for a very long time.

Gotta love my shoes. That's a polished look.
  



My friends Katelyn, Tom and Alicia
Katelyn and me...I should have had my bangs down.
The goal was to keep a straight face. I failed.
James Bond meets Charlie's Angels
Thanks to my supervisors, I was made captain of the Bonneville Room. It could be an extreme compliment but really, it turned into a nightmare. Everything was so different I didn't know where to start. Amy Murdock was supposedly going to be helping me but she was out running around everywhere else that I was basically on my own. Thanks for nothing... I thought I had things under control until Dianne, wonderful Dianne, comes running in with a huge list of things that I needed to already have done when three hours ago she said that someone else would take care of things. Thanks to being in the hole of Bonneville, I was forgotten. I apparently was supposed to grab my own soup bowls, cook books for favors, desserts, and a number of other things. WHAT??? I seriously think I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I sent my servers to cover some of the assignments while I ran to the Empire room to try and find Amy. On the way, I ran into Morgan Weight and a few of the fellas working in the Lobby. Morgan asked me how I was doing. Usually I try and talk down my problems and take care of them myself. Well, not this time. He asked how I was and I said a little stressed. Fifteen minutes later, a whole crew of them showed up in my kitchen asking what they could do. By that time, things were again under control but the fact that they would come and help me was just what I needed. Guys are great.

So many big names in attendance! The entire First Presidency came, along with half the Quorum of the Twelve. The Governor and the Mayor were there too. Of course they weren't at my tables, but I saw them from across the way. Five courses, and what felt like 100 degrees later, we were all ready for a break. My first time eating lobster:
I need a drink.
$65 a plate!
L to R: Jen, Chase, Morgan W., and Richard 
Never seen so many bottles in one place before.
L to R: Liz, Kalli, and Jordan
R to L: Charles, Char, Chris, Morgan G., and Alicia
The night finally ended at 11:45 pm. It was quite the experience. It was fun to be there with so many of my friends and I'm glad I was able to be a part of history. Still, I NEVER want to wear a tux like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment