Tuesday, April 3, 2012

kindred spirit

I hope you don't mind if I am a bit more personal today than usual. My heart is heavy. Today is a melancholy day. I don't have them frequently, but today deserves its due.

I have been working in Deseret Book Corporate Offices for almost three months now. In that time, I have made a generous amount of friends. They are some of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege to meet and I am over the moon that I have the opportunity to "rub shoulders" with each of them. One of such amazing caliber passed away last Thursday night.

Pat Williams is one of the sweetest people I have ever known. For the three months I've known her, I have been blessed to see her smile and hear her sweet voice. For the past three years, she has been dealing with painful cancer and proving all her doctors wrong. She continued to come into work, even through the pain, until it took three of us to get her in the car to go home. Then the Executive Office told her no.

I was working as she left the office. No one knew that it would end so abruptly. She came off the elevator to wait for her sister to bring the car around. While she sat in her wheelchair, she cried for some help. I'm worthless because I cannot leave the phone. She suggested I call Cory and as soon as I mentioned Pat's name, he was ready to come down and help, no matter whatever else was on his plate for that day.

I stood trying to comfort her, but it was useless. Cory came down and stood outside waiting for the car. I helped to push her outside and then Cory took over so that I could return to the dang-blasted phone. I sat here and watched the slow process of Pat going home. The next week, I heard that she wasn't coming back to work. She entered the hospital the next day.

This morning was her funeral. I wasn't able to attend but I like to think I worked so the rest of the office was able to attend.

I miss Pat. I miss our 5:00 pm chats. I miss her sassy attitude and quotable sayings. I miss her voice. I miss how she would smile and wave from the car as I left the office. I will forever be grateful that such an amazing woman came into my life, even for such a short time.

I love you, Pat. Keep them laughing on the other side. :)

To see her obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment