Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sun Rising on a Happy Face


 I survived January 31st!
 Ultimately, my survival wasn't the one in question 
but still, I don't know how to quite put into words the joy I feel! 
Caroline Hortin had a routine surgery.
 She is expected to move to the floor sometime today! 
The projection of a week in the hospital is really NOT so hard to believe. 
I am shedding tears of joy :)


Yesterday was rather bleak. Carrie left early in the morning with my parents. I hate watching them drive away. It rips my stomach out of place and sticks it in my throat. I get seriously messed up when anyone mentions the word "surgery" because I have had too much experience where that word is followed by horrific circumstances.

Melanie and I hung around the house, not really doing anything. We were extremely quiet since neither one of us wanted to talk about what was going on. Still, we both kept playing everything out in our heads. The waiting is unbearable. I kept thinking that the inevitable words coming through the phone from my dad was that something had gone terribly wrong, that we had another month dealing with PCMC.

I kept replaying moments of last summer in my head:
  • My parents' faces through Skype telling me to come home
  • Staring out the window at the airport, thinking I was going home to say goodbye
  • Riding the escalator down to my sisters, not really sure what I was feeling
  • Turning the corner in the ICU and seeing my parents next to Carrie's bed, Carrie covered in tubes and machines
  • Sleeping on the floor that night in the waiting room
  • Being in the room alone with Carrie in a moment when she fought to breathe and I couldn't do anything. Anything!
  • Driving home to an empty house
Needless to say, I was a wreck.
BUT!

My sister is doing great! 
The pit in my stomach has relaxed. 
I can eat :) 
CARRIE CAN WIGGLE HER TOES!
It is a beautiful day and the Lord loves me.

No comments:

Post a Comment