Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandpa! I love and miss you!

This post is written for the red-headed one.

We were sitting in the family room and audibly acknowledged the fact that today is February 15, my grandfather's birthday. My dear grandpa has been gone for 8 years this coming March. Thinking of him takes me back to being only four feet high. Last year, for my poetry course, I wrote a poem reminiscent of my good times with Grandpa. I think it very fitting to share it with you here.

First, let me explain. It is a combination of memories of a game that we would play. We called it Ding-Dong because of the motion my legs would make when he picked me up. The game always ended with his fingers right under my arms, tickling me to no end. And the thought of it still makes me smile.

Enjoy!



playing ding-dong

I remember
The musk of his cologne
Filling my senses with safety.
Mom says to come for our goodbyes.
I await my turn, the anticipation bittersweet.

                                    He quietly shakes my dads hand, enveloping his son in a firm embrace.
                                    Thanks my mother for his favorite meal.
                                    The clock ticks on loudly, a reminder of the time spent
                                    I skip up and down. my turn my turn my turn

            Heres my girl!                                                                     He lifts me up

Cheek to cheek                                                           my face grazes his whiskers

                                    Security in a little scratch                                           he holds me tight

            Lifting me so I cant touch the ground                                   my eyes clamp shut

      Swinging legs                                           back and forth

                                    back and forth                                                                        ding

Dong                                                                           ding-dong

                        Im a bell.                                                                    Im the belle.


the feel of his perfectly starched white shirt
now creased from our embrace.
the way his eyes smile
a conversation in a wink

No comments:

Post a Comment