Tuesday, December 13, 2011

beginning to look a lot like christmas

Christmas boxes of decorations sit in the front room. Santa's workshop has arrived in the basement. The cd player in my car constantly plays a mixture of Karen Carpenter, Bing Crosby, Donny Osmond, The Forgotten Carols, and Eclipse. The illuminated milk jugs line my front walk and the advent calendars have made a surprisingly early appearance. Christmas season is underway!

I am among the few that stubbornly wait until the day after Thanksgiving to welcome in the holiday. Kozy 106.5 can play "Feliz Navidad" until the cows come home. Christmas begins for me on what others refer to as Black Friday. And oh, what a time I've had since then!

The holiday arrived with a trip to Gardner Village to celebrate Maggie's birthday. As previously stated, I'm so glad that my family rediscovered this little gem in the valley. After a delicious dinner at Archibald's, we wandered through a few of the cozy shops and found an extension of Santa's workshop around every corner. The little elves were adorable. My favorites were the roller-skating elf delivering cookies and the ice skater that lost his footing and ended up sliding on his back pockets.

Later in the week, I began to experience the holiday through the eyes of a banquet server. If you thought that August is crazy, try and schedule an event in December. Good luck! Thursday was an Inspirational Art Show in the Bonneville Room. By the end of the night, I was wishing I had thousands of dollars to purchase the magnificent artwork on the walls. As my shift was ending, I saw a portrait of the Savior that was selling for $98,000! I gasped...and walked away. If every shift could provide walls upon walls of images of the Savior, I think I wouldn't have as much of a pickle on my hands.

Friday was a trial unto itself. I started the day with a choir practice for the DMC Christmas party (I'll explain later), and while I was catching up with my good friend, Dallin, my eyes started to go funny. I don't know how else to describe the sensation, but suddenly I saw lines of moving lights somewhere in my line of sight. As time progressed, my hands went numb and a migraine hit with full force. Sadly, I was scheduled to work and it was too late to call in sick. I drove carefully over to the Joe, praying and pleading for strength. He answered my prayers as I met up with Laurel. She kindly suggested that I go to the Catering Office and request a Bride's Room key so that I could go where it was quiet and attempt to sleep it off. The next time I use a Bride's Room, a wedding dress better be involved. I spent about half an hour away from the world on a fancy, though surprisingly comfortable couch. After, it was mind over matter as I worked through the pain. As long as I kept myself distracted, I was fine. Still, there were a few moments were I had to sit or put my head down. It has been a long time since I have felt so completely useless. Hopefully, I can take better care of myself.

Saturday, thankfully, I was back to myself. Thanks to it being the weekend, the entire day was planned, minute by minute. It began with my first Brighton meeting (Hooray!) with Ao and the Presidency. Meadow made the most divine butterscotch pull-aparts and hot chocolate. I have already begun a quote book for Brighton Staff 2012:

Ao: "I'm not opposed to goo."
Duke: "If everything in this world were fried, there would be no war!"

The next 8-9 months are going to rock my socks! After presidency meeting, I brought Ao over to my house with the intent to figure out the theme for the summer. We didn't quite figure that out yet, but it is coming along. More than anything, we just sat and talked. She is wonderful! I am so lucky to have a friend in Ao!

Next, it was off to the South Towne Expo Center for the Festival of Trees! I love the Festival of Trees and have done since I was a  little girl. I met up with my family and saw some of the most amazing trees. It is true that after a few aisles the trees begin to look exactly the same, but luckily, I wasn't there that long. We found Melanie's friend Kenzie's tree and I stood watching and attempting to be supportive as my little sister mourned the loss of a dear friend.  Sweet Melanie has such a tender heart and makes friends everywhere. In the short time we stood in front of it, every member of my family in attendance was in tears. It was a beautiful tree and a wonderful tribute to a wonderful girl. To end our little excursion, Dad treated us to scones and honeybutter from the stand that is located in the back. It was delicious! I don't think I have ever eaten so much breaded goodness in one day before.

Then it was off to work again for me. I, alone, was scheduled to work in the Ambassador Room with Elder Koelliker and his family with ten guests in attendance. It was a quiet night for me, but completely enjoyable. His family was so sweet and generous. I would love to serve them again and again, and I rarely say that about people.

Before the night was over, I made an attempt to catch up with family at Oma's annual visit from Sinterklaas. The night is complete with singing dutch songs, eating until your buttons pop, the gift of a chocolate letter, and sitting on the man's knee. Sadly, I missed the majority of the festivities as I didn't arrive until just after 10 pm, but I was able to see my Oma and McLelland cousins while feasting on a delicious nanaimo bar.

This was just the first few days of the season. I started this post days ago but had to leave it. Just you wait readers, the month continues to bring joy and gladness to my heart and I would be happy to share it all with you.

(Apologies for the lack of pictures. I have basically given up on this camera of mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment