Monday, September 12, 2011

in remembrance

This post is in honor of the memories that flooded my mind yesterday. I know everyone was thinking about where they were when they first heard of the 9/11 attacks. As for me, I was in Mr. Hinz's Pre-Algebra class working as his TA. I sat in the back corner at his desk, drinking a Raspberry Creme Shasta and watching the television. The sound wasn't very loud but the pictures on the screen were more than enough. I understood the devastation, though maybe not as completely as I do now.

At the time, my favorite television show, The West Wing, was about to begin its third season. Before they began their dramatic storyline, they made this tribute entitled, "Isaac and Ishmael." It is still one of my favorite episodes of all time, and that, my friends, is saying something.

Watch it!


I am thankful everyday that I was born in a place where more than one idea is accepted,
that I am able to practice my religion,
get my college degree,
shout whatever I want at a football game,
and go out in the world to make something of myself.

I am thankful everyday for the people that choose to put their lives in danger so that I can continue to practice my freedoms.
It is especially poignant that I know the husbands of friends of mine are those men that have chosen to protect and defend. 

May God continue to watch over us and that we may prove worthy of His blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment