Tuesday, January 19, 2010

SMILE!!!


I'm one week into the new semester and already I think things are going to be splendid this go round. I don't know really what it is that has caused these feelings in me, but deep down in my gut, I know that life will work itself out. I have miraculously stayed on top of my french homework!!!! Shocker! No need to be frantically writing on the train. AND- I understand more in class. I didn't know that it was possible. I have much more on my plate this semester than last, but I think that is how I function. Give me more than I can handle, or don't give me anything at all. I think I'm weird that way, but I've decided who cares!
School is great! Work is great! I learn so much from this transcription from the church and it always turns into more than just work. For example, the last one that I did was a conversation with Elder and Sister Oaks and Sheri Dew. There were so many great nuggets of wisdom in the entire conversation,(and if you want to hear it, go to the Mormon Channel and look it up. Pretty sure you could find it.) but I keep thinking about something that Elder Oaks said about his wife. He said that he asked her once why she had remained single for so long. Her reply was that she was waiting for a man that would the Lord more than he loved her, and that he didn't know if he met such a high standard. How wonderful is that?!
I keep finding tender mercies throughout my day. I think that if you are having a rough time you should write down five tender mercies that have happened in your day. If that is too easy or doesn't help, make it ten. Write them down and start to look for them. Today- my morning commute to school. I have a class that starts at 9:10 in the morning. Awesome class- awesome professor. But both days of class last week I walked in late. My own fault for not getting going early enough in the morning. So, today I decided that I was going to make it. I was even going to be early. I woke up at 6:30 am, which for me is extra early these days. Got myself ready while the rest of the house was dark. As things go, it took a little longer than I planned to get everything done and out the door. I was sure I had blown the whole plan and was once again going to be late to class. My hero of a father drove me to the Jordan Commons stop through a backway that I wouldn't have even thought through just as the train pulled up to the station. I hollered goodbye and ran. It's happened before that I can run as fast as I can and the train still leaves me. Today? The nice gentleman driving the trax train saw me, smiled, and waited until I could get on!!! And guess what? I got to school with 20 minutes to spare. A whole 20 minutes! I didn't know what to do with myself during all the extra time. These are the things that make a bad day seem okay. It turned my day around. It isn't over yet, and I suppose there are a million things that can go wrong between now and when I go to bed, but that one thing is enough to remind me to smile. Ahhh, I love to smile!
Everything is coming together. Yes, there are still stresses that I wish didn't exist in my life. Money is still an issue. Family health will always be an issue. But I have wonderful friends and family and opportunities coming into my life that I can't help but be happy. It is simply fantastic!Here's hoping the same comes to you!

1 comment:

  1. See? I promised you I read your blog! :) This is a great post. I need to follow your advice and look for those tender mercies. I found a whole bunch today. :)
    Here's another great thing about your day. You are now a better blogger than me. How did you get those movies on the side??

    ReplyDelete