Tuesday, March 12, 2013

that awkward moment when...

you fall asleep on a stranger's shoulder.

(P.S. This happened weeks ago. Did I mention that my sister's wedding was the end of February? I was a little preoccupied...)

Here's my story:

A little while ago, I went with some friends up to Lava Hot Springs. I had never been before and I had no idea the fun and relaxing time that awaited me. The occasion came about because I was conversing with one of my best friends about the craziness that is my life at the moment. After my venting session, she invited me to tag along with the "Sandy Crew" (my personal name for the group) and head up to Lava.

I left work a little early to pack my overnight bag and to wait for Britt and Mel to come and pick me up. We left Salt Lake and the muggy air while jamming to Backstreet Boys and N'SYNC. (Shout out to my elementary years!) When we had traveled as far as Ogden, it was time to stop for some food. I found out that others have as much trouble picking what to eat as I do. Lucky for us, we found an exit with a Subway right next to a Wendy's. Mel and I headed over for some flat bread and sweet onion teriyaki and met the other girls to eat next door. We were talking about this, that and the other when all the sudden, I'm on my knees. Wearing my slick leather boots on black ice- not a good idea. Correction. Black ice - not a good idea. I hit the ground hard and scratched up my knee. Awesome.

Back on the road, we sang harmony to Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson and bonded with the Idaho stars. I've seen my far share of beautiful night skies and let me tell you - that was a beautiful night sky. After a few detours and u-turns, we pulled into Soda Springs and the fun little lodge that we had rented for the night. It was huge and yet so cozy. We met up with the rest of the crew and they wanted to give us a little tour. Actually, they wanted to show us the creepy basement. Dave and Loni were staged in a little room trying to freak us out. Poor things hung out in the dark basement for almost an hour and I think they only kinda scared Justin. One out of fifteen.

We spent the rest of the night playing games and eating food. When it was far past the time to go to bed, everyone went their separate ways.We awoke early the next morning and I learned that I make a mean pancake. I've watched my dad make pancakes almost every morning for the past 25 years and tried to make him proud. A number of compliments later, I felt pretty accomplished. I'm not saying that making pancakes is neurosurgery, but hey, I'm pretty good at it.

The springs were fantastic and super relaxing (besides the fact that I was in a swimsuit). Check that off my bucket list- I have been to Lava Hot Springs and even hung out in the Fire Hot pool or whatever the super hot one is called. We stayed for a few hours and were completely relaxed by the time we headed back south for dinner/lunch at Maddox.

Here is when things get awkward: Remember when you hang out in a hot tub and get super relaxed and then all you want to do is sleep? Well, I do. I tried, friends... I honestly tried to stay awake. I was sitting in the back of Tamra's car next to Dave and Nate. I know Dave a little but not enough to sleep on his shoulder. I was awake and talking and chilling out when suddenly..... BOOM! My head hits Dave's shoulder. Hard.

If only I could have swayed towards the window. If only I could have slept funky and ended up with a crick in my neck. If only I could have stayed awake...then what followed for the rest of the trip would not have happened.

I woke instantly and apologized. I wasn't completely awake so I don't remember exactly what happened in the next few minutes but I do remember being accused of "putting the moves" on Dave. That was not even close to my intentions but try and convince my friends of that fact. The entire time we spent eating lunch was accompanied with jokes pointed at my ability to "put on the moves."

Have they forgotten they forgotten the incident since then? Ha, in my dreams...








No comments:

Post a Comment